Companies With the Best DE&I Practices
More companies are promoting workplace diversity, equity, and inclusion every year – and for a good reason. A recent Deloitte study found that diverse teams perform 80 percent better than their non-diverse counterparts. And according to Boston Consulting Group, diversity and inclusion companies generally achieve 19 percent higher revenue than their less inclusive peers.
But aside from greater profits and better team performance, the human element is just as important to consider. Employees deserve to be treated with respect and care. They should also feel comfortable and safe in the workplace.
Before we get into the best companies for diversity and inclusion, let’s look at what employees gain from working at a DE&I-focused organization.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace
DE&I refers to the active programs and policies a company enacts to promote representation, acknowledgment, and participation of people of different backgrounds, races, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, age, ability, and religion. Though the terms are often used interchangeably, let’s look at how diversity, equity, and inclusion differ.
Diversity is the presence of difference. It typically refers to representing others across a spectrum of race, gender identity, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and others.
Equity is about putting employees on equal footing. Companies can create fair access to opportunities and advancement by recognizing and minimizing the barriers some face in the workplace.
Inclusion creates the opportunity for team members and employees to feel a genuine sense of belonging and value within a workplace.
Benefits of working at a diverse and inclusive company
The best companies for diversity and inclusion create a welcoming environment that leads to greater employee productivity and loyalty. They also benefit from multiple viewpoints and perspectives that bring innovative and creative solutions. Some additional benefits that diversity and inclusion companies experience include:
- Improved revenue: Employees who feel part of the company take pride in their work and give more discretionary effort. These great workplaces achieve higher revenue levels as a result.
- Access to quality talent: Widening the recruitment scope gives opportunities to individuals who otherwise would have been overlooked.
- Higher employee engagement: A diverse and inclusive workplace can improve employee engagement. If team members feel respected and important, they feel a greater connection to the company.
- Employees are less likely to leave: Diversity tactics also improve employee retention. Employees who feel valued and appreciated are more loyal and engaged.
Now that we’ve explained the benefits of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, let’s explore some of the best diversity and inclusion companies.
Top companies for diversity and inclusion
Top Workplaces awards companies based on employee surveys that measure employee engagement and satisfaction. These ten companies exhibit the best DE&I practices and deserve recognition for their efforts and accomplishments. Learn more about these top companies for diversity and inclusion below and by checking out their company profiles.
10 Best Companies for DE&I
Eight Eleven Family of Companies
Eight Eleven Family of Companies is redefining the staffing industry with creative collaboration and a dedication to individuality. Eight Eleven employees believe the work environment welcomes and empowers professionals of all backgrounds.
Leadership and hiring teams also pay particular attention to diversity, equity, and inclusion. So much so that the organization recently achieved 52% diversity across genders and races. Senior Account Executive Ephrem Chedid says, “By bringing more people to the table, we all go further together.”
- Industry: Staffing
- Location: Indianapolis, IN
- Recent Top Workplaces Awards: 2023 IndyStar Top Workplaces
- Company Profile: Eight Eleven Group
First National Bank
A 2023 Top Workplace for DE&I Practices, First National Bank is dedicated to building a diverse workforce where people from all backgrounds can learn, grow, and win together. The company values innovative ideas and the individuals behind them.
- Industry: Banks
- Location: Pittsburgh, PA
- Recent Top Workplaces Awards: 2023 Top Workplaces USA, 2023 Baltimore Sun Top Workplaces, 2023 Top Workplaces for Financial Services, 2023 Top Workplaces for DE&I Practices
- Company Profile: First National Bank
MicroHealth is another 2023 Top Workplace for DE&I Practices. Claude Hines, Chief Operating Officer, describes the company culture as dynamic, growing, and inclusive. Explore MicroHealth’s company profile for more information, plus a link to their website and active careers page.
- Industry: Managed Services & Outsourcing
- Location: Vienna, VA
- Recent Top Workplaces Awards: 2023 Top Workplaces USA, 2023 Washington Post Top Workplaces, 2023 Top Workplaces for Technology, 2023 Top Workplaces for DE&I Practices
- Company Profile: MicroHealth
Advantis Credit Union
Advantis Credit Union’s inclusive workplace culture celebrates each employee’s unique skills. The credit union advocates for diversity and empowerment while creating a sense of belonging for all employees. Advantis uses DEI Councils and Belonging Communities to ensure every voice is heard.
- Industry: Credit Unions
- Location: Oregon City, OR
- Top Workplaces Awards: 2023 Oregonian Top Workplaces, 2023 Top Workplaces for Financial Services, 2023 Top Workplaces for DE&I Practices.
- Company Profile: Advantis Credit Union
GreenPath Financial Wellness
GreenPath Financial Wellness is an award-winning nonprofit on a mission to improve financial wellness and remix the American Dream, so it works for everyone. GreenPath is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access – essential for fostering a creative and people-centered workplace culture. Employees at GreenPath bring mission-driven passion and creativity to work, knowing that cultivates successful, powerful teams.
- Industry: Nonprofit
- Location: Farmington Hills, MI
- Recent Top Workplaces Awards: 2023 Top Workplaces USA, 2023 Detroit Free Press Top Workplaces, 2023 Top Workplaces for DE&I Practices, 2023 Top Workplaces for Innovation
- Company Profile: GreenPath Financial Wellness
Fairway Independent Mortgage
Fairway Independent Mortgage recognized that supporting DE&I is the right thing to do and good for business. To be successful in an increasingly diverse world, Fairway is committed to building an inclusive environment for its workforce, partners, and clients. That commitment to diversity helps Fairway Independent Mortgage stay competitive and retain the very best talent at all levels.
- Industry: Mortgage Lending
- Location: Madison, WI
- Recent Top Workplaces Awards: 2023 Top Workplaces USA, 2023 Boston Globe Top Workplaces, 2023 Top Workplaces for DE&I Practices, 2023 Top Workplaces for Purpose & Values
- Company Profile: Fairway Independent Mortgage
- Learn more: Fairway Independent Mortgage Success Story
Aledade provides innovative solutions in the population health industry. They empower healthcare providers and patients by advancing America’s push towards value-based healthcare, where physicians and hospitals profit by keeping people healthy and costs down. The organization values inclusion, equity, diversity, and community. Employees at Aledade are encouraged to learn from different backgrounds and perspectives, creating a curious and creative workplace culture.
- Industry: Healthcare
- Location: Bethesda, MD
- Recent Top Workplaces Awards: 2023 Top Workplaces USA, 2023 Washington Post Top Workplaces, 2023 Top Workplaces for Healthcare, 2023 Top Workplaces for DE&I Practices
- Company Profile: Aledade, Inc.
CapEd Credit Union
CapEd Credit Union knows belonging, diversity, equity, and inclusion improve innovation and well-being. The organization respects and values all people, experiences, skills, and opinions equally. At CapEd Credit Union, an empowering environment drives collaboration and a shared mission of superior community enrichment and service quality.
- Industry: Credit Unions
- Location: Meridian, ID
- Recent Top Workplaces Awards: 2023 Idaho Press Top Workplaces, 2023 Top Workplaces for Financial Services, 2023 Top Workplaces for DE&I Practices, 2023 Top Workplaces for Professional Development
- Company Profile: CapEd Credit Union
- Learn more: CapEd Credit Union Success Story
The Village for Families and Children
The Village for Families & Children works to build strong and healthy families by providing behavioral health treatments and support to children and adults, ranging from substance abuse treatment to foster care and adoption. The Village’s mission is driven by diversity and anti-racism. The organization, which recently won the 2023 Top Workplaces for DE&I Practices award, pledges to use the power of staff, policies, practices, and partnerships to fight biases and discrimination.
- Industry: Human & Social Services
- Location: Hartford, CT
- Recent Top Workplaces Awards: 2023 Hartford Courant Top Workplaces, 2023 Top Workplaces for Nonprofit, 2023 Top Workplaces for DE&I Practices,
- Company Profile: The Village for Families & Children
Paycor uses its cloud-based Human Capital Management (HCM) software to help companies manage their most valuable asset: their people. The workplace culture at Paycor embraces diversity, continued learning, and equitable systems. To support this commitment to DE&I, Paycor also offers Perspectives+, an online resource complete with articles, templates, webinars, and practical tips to help employees implement DE&I throughout the organization.
- Industry: Payroll
- Location: Cincinnati, OH
- Recent Top Workplaces Awards: 2023 Top Workplaces USA, 2023 Cincinnati Enquirer Top Workplaces, 2023 Top Workplaces for DE&I Practices, 2023 Top Workplaces for Leadership
- Company Profile: Paycor
- Learn more: Paycor Success Story
Explore careers at the most diverse and inclusive companies
Read the full list of Top Workplaces DE&I Practices award winners to explore career opportunities and learn more about the power of people-first cultures.
Does your employer deserve recognition? Nominate your organization for Top Workplaces, the program that offers awards in 60+ markets and national awards for culture and industry excellence.